Bowling Green Etiquette
- Dress appropriately and ensure that you know the dress code for each game or match in which you are participating. Do not show disrespect for your opponent(s) by arriving late for the game. If you are representing the club on another bowling green you should remember that you are an ambassador for the Tuggeranong Bowling Club. Behave appropriately.
- Do not walk across rinks that other people are using and do not stand or sit on the rink edges while waiting to play. Note that it is not the edges that are the main problem, but people sitting on the banks tend to place their feet on the edge of the green causing serious damage.
- Introduce yourself and shake hands with your opponent(s) both before play commences and after the game is complete.
- During the game do not move around the head when your opponent is about to deliver their bowl. Stand well back from the head, keep quiet and do not do anything that would distract your opponent. Wait until the bowl has been delivered before moving.
- If you are at the same end as the player delivering a bowl you must stand behind the mat thus staying out of the player’s line of vision, at least 1metre behind the mat.
- Bear in mind that some people like to see the rink boundary markers and the centre pin while playing so make sure that you are not obscuring them. On sunny days you must also ensure that your shadow does not fall on the jack.
- Spectators who are in the player’s line of vision should also keep still while bowls are being delivered and they should not distract players on the green.
- At Tuggeranong Bowling Club we are privileged to have three very good bowling greens. Look after them! Don’t drop your bowls onto the green and ensure that your delivery is not causing scuff marks or otherwise damaging the green.
- Place litter in the bins provided for this and do not spit on the green
- No smoking on or around the Green area. Smokers are asked to smoke in the areas marked, and please place butts in ashtrays provided. This is an ACT Law.
- Bowls should not be kicked in until the shot has been decided.
- Don’t delay the game.
- Bowling is a friendly game and all players should show courtesy and good sportsmanship.
- Mobile Phones should not be used on or around the green.
- Observe the rules for possession of the rink on the Bowling Green!
- After you have delivered a bowl and before it has come to rest you have two options. If you want to track your bowl’s progress you must be behind the head as it stops. In other words you must beat it to the head. If you don’t go to the head you must be behind the mat as your bowl stops.
- It is also worth emphasising that the head must not be disturbed by any player until the shots have been finally agreed. When the Thirds or Skips are deciding the shots the other players should stand well back from the head and give them the space to do so.
- During the game encourage your team mates, do not criticize them. Commend good shots and learn to accept that flukes are a part of the game. Sometimes they go for you, sometimes against.
Text adapted from the ‘Vale of Leven Bowling Club’ internet website information pages.